Sunday, August 31, 2008

On the subject of tee shirts...

***
Classroom discussion on tee shirts, circa 2007 -
Hector: "Miss, I hate it when girls wear shirts that say the word PINK on them but the shirt is actually orange or blue!"
Chemissy: "Well, does what a shirt says have anything to do with who's wearing it? Harlan, what does your shirt say?"
Harlan: "Dirty ghetto kids."
In this case, Harlan's tee shirt was a bit fitting, and the class had a good laugh.



***
Classroom discussion on tee shirts, Friday, August 29th....
A bit of background - the science department at my high school decided that it would be "cute" to wear matching tee shirts to school on the very first Friday of the new year. I have been trying to establish rapport with my kids, trying to come across as tough, yet cool, at the very same time.

Tell me how easy that is when on Friday, a day to wear spirit shirts and jeans and kick back a bit and get comfy for the day, you are made to wear a shirt that not only has the periodic table on the front, but the formula for momentum on the back. Chemistry party in the front, physics business on the back. Some sort of sick and twisted dorky one hundred percent cotton black science mullet. Maybe more like ten percent cotton, ninety percent humiliation. Can my kids see through it? I could only hope.

I trudge into school on Friday, clutching a white jacket and an emergency back up shirt in my hand. For now, the jacket is all that's keeping me from ultimate high school student embarrassment. Usually, the A/C is on so heavily in my school that it's December year round.
NOT today - today the A/C is broken and our rooms are in the high 80s. The jacket comes off, and I am vulnerable to 70 teenagers whose definition of cool has never involved a screen printed formula chart.
I pretend that I'm okay until third period.....
Me: "Okay kiddos, let's pass in your lab contracts...."
Trendy Girl: "Miss, did they make you wear that shirt today?"
Me (eyes wide): "Yes!!! How did you guys know?"
Trendy Girl 2: "We were talking, and we think that you wouldn't wear something that nerdy. You are too cool for that shirt!"
Me (smiling HUGE): "You guys are great - this is the first, and the last time, you will ever see this shirt...."
Class giggles.

I am redeemed.



Did I mention that my neighbor science teacher got a tattoo?

Ever seen the chemical structure for caffeine permanently inked into some one's forearm? There's a type of tee shirt that doesn't come off.

Bring on the second week of school! :)

***

No comments: