Thursday, August 21, 2008

Meet the Teacher...uh, I already have

Today was "Meet the Teacher" day. Funny, my students have met me. The question is do they remember?! Considering I have a tiny class, if just one person showed up, that would be a pretty good percentage. And what do you know; one showed up! Walking in with hands over his ears and feeling very unsure about what this torture is all about, his mother drags him into our classroom. (note: my classroom moved to the other end of the hall, but I set it up exactly the same way it was last year) He is very upset, then suddenly, he notices his favorite lace-up toys right on the shelf where they're supposed to be! The world is getting better. He goes over to the toys and begins to take them off the shelf, then, WOW! With a slow glance around the room, it all starts to come back! With a small grin, he decides he wants the play dough instead. I start talking to mom, and before we know it, he's got playdough, blocks, lace-up toys, and books all over the floor. Amazing how quickly that happens. As I approach him to prompt the clean up, I get the push away. He does not want to be bothered. Uh oh, someone got used to having their way over the summer. Time for "The Clean Up Song"! Works like a charm. It's amazing, the power of song. Gets kids to clean up, and gets my husband to want to tape my mouth shut! (those darn songs get stuck in your head; I'm working on that)

Looks like we'll be starting the year off with a big refresher course in the rules of the classroom! And as an aside, let me just say that they grow soooo much over the summer! My goodness! Before I know it my elementary kiddos are going to be bigger than me! Let another year of excitement begin...

2 comments:

Teacher said...

That was written by "Mrs. C", by the way. I'm new at this.

Katie said...

You kids are great! I'm so excited about this blog so I can keep up with all the craziness of your daily lives.

Much Love -
Katie "I wish I had cool finance stories" C